The Sons of Adam podcast this week covered JP’s list of the traits of manhood. I thought it was a good list which helps me further flesh out my understanding of what defines a man. I’m recording JP’s list here for future reference because I expect to come back and review it and to use it in some upcoming posts.
I don’t intend to offer any commentary on JP’s list here but I am going to publicly encourage JP to get a blog where he can share his thoughts directly anytime he has thoughts that he thinks deserve more than passing consideration. It would be a great complement to the podcast.
- Become an adult i.e. a responsible, productive member of society
- Develop a manly attitude: including
- reverence for motherhood and womanhood
- defaults to:
- rejecting passivity
- accepting responsibility
- leading courageously
- Become a protector i.e. stand in front and take the brunt of uncertainty—providing safety for others, especially your family
- Become a provider: men HAVE to work. (Of course the quantity and type of work may be dependent upon physical and/or intellectual limitations for each individual.)
- Become a patriarch for your family
- spiritual leader of your home
- the one who directs the work of the priesthood in the home